"I have fun on my journeys with the senior I drive around. This is an excellent service for seniors and the senior's companionship is rewarding for me."
We are adding another volunteer to our roster this month. We are happy to introduce Todd Ballen. Todd grew up in Michigan, attended an undergraduate program, and then moved to MN to attend the UofM for graduate school. Todd and his wife both attended the UofM and lived here in SAP while attending school. After graduation, they moved to the Como Park neighborhood. Todd and his wife raised two children, both young adults now. Todd has recently retired and is looking forward to exploring different types of volunteering, with us and other programs. He came to us, offering to be a volunteer driver. He has also volunteered with his church and the boy scouts. Other interests Todd has are reading, hiking, biking and skiing. We are very glad to have Todd join us as a volunteer driver.
Volunteer Opportunities Within St. Anthony Park Area Seniors
Each year about 125 volunteers provide direct service to seniors/caregivers, office help and/or serve in a leadership position in order to fulfill this mission. Will you join them? Check the list below to see the variety of opportunities for you to volunteer to help your neighbors. For more information about volunteering with us, check out the volunteer handbook near the bottom of this page.
- Form friendships by becoming a visitor
- Provide respite care so a family caregiver can have a break
- Drive people to health-related appointments, other appointments, or grocery shopping (must have car, valid driver's license and auto insurance)
- Run errands for grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and other necessities
- Drive to deliver Meals on Wheels in Saint Anthony Park (Please call the SAPAS office at 651-642-9052, not Keystone Community Services, if you can't deliver on your assigned date.) (must have car, valid driver's license and auto insurance)
- Help with household projects
- Help with computer problems
- Serve as a SAPASeniors Board member
- Serve as a SAPASeniors Committee member
- Provide blood pressure checks
- Lead exercise classes
- Assist with fundraising
- Walk dogs
- Wash windows
- Help with seasonal chores (raking and garden work)
- Help in the office with mailings, computer work, etc.
Benefits to Volunteering
Read about health benefits to volunteering as researched by the Corporation for National & Community Service.
To Apply to be a Volunteer
If you are interested in any of these volunteer activities please call 651-642-9052, email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fill out application (below) --then e-mail, mail or bring it to us during your interview.
View our volunteer application and/or download it here
View our volunteer handbook and/or download it here
We have so many wonderful volunteers at St. Anthony Park Area Seniors. They give their time, energy and spirit to this program which is a key component to what makes St. Anthony Park Area Seniors so special.
Read about some of our special volunteers.
Volunteer Opportunities Outside of St. Anthony Park Area Seniors (Coronavirus-Friendly)
Contact your elected leaders and share your concerns.
Assemble care kits for the homeless.
Adopt a food shelf.
Share art through the mail or even through your window.
Smile! It will make you and the person you are smiling at feel better.
Write letters to soldiers.
Create a kindness display.
Chalk your walk with messages of thanks and hope.